Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What Yoga has Taught Me

A few months ago, I was doing yoga daily in my home and feeling great.  Then things changed and I dropped it.  A couple weeks ago, I started up again.  Much to my surprise, I wasn't fleixble anymore!  Even the basic moves were hard.  I couldn't touch my toes or hold downdog or plank for nearly as long. For the first week of starting again, I detested doing it, though I kept it up because I knew it was good for me.  As of a couple days ago, I let the yoga run it, instead of me trying to meet a quota of moves to do and seconds to hold it.  I focused on how each move made me feel and listened to my body responding to yoga.  I felt the stress wash away and flexibility enter.  I was too focused on moving, that I lost sight of actual yoga.  I've found a pretty decent routine that I can handle.  I want to be more of a pro at these before moving on.  The routine may change based on how each muscle feels or the time I have (e.g. going into the office and having 5-10 minutes).
  • Half moon pose (Ardha Chandrasana)
  • Standing forward bend (uttanasana)
  • Awkward pose (Uksatasana)
  • Eagle pose (Garutasana)
  • Standing Head to Knee (Dandayamana Janushirasana)
  • Standing Bow Pulling pose (Dandayamana Dhanurasana)
  • Balancing Stick pose (Tuladandsana)
  • Tree pose (Tadasana)
  • Lunge (utthita ashwa sanchalanasana)
  • Warrior II (Virabhadasana II)
  • Modified Side Angle (parsvakonasana)
  • Triangle pose (Trikonasana)
  • Low warrior (Ardha Virabhadasana)
  • Warrior III (Virbhadrasana)
  • Table (Svanasana)
  • Cat (Marjariasana)
  • Cow (Bitilasana)
  • Sunbird (Chakravakasana)
  • Child pose (garbhasana)
  • Plank (Phalakasana)
  • Downward Dog (Adha Mukha Svanasasana)
  • Half downward dog
  • Upward Dog
  • Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
  • Full Locust Pose (Pooma Salabhasana)
  • Fixed Firm pose (Supta Vajrasana)
  • Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
  • Spine Twisting pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
  • Breath of Fire (Kapalbhati Breathing)
Wow, looks like a lot more written down than it feels.  I try to be as fluid as possible with the moves and switching to a different one.  I feel refreshed once I've completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment